Monday, October 8, 2012

"What makes you beautiful"- One Direction

So, today, Slate has  piece on the new boyband One Direction.  It's interesting, actually.

But it also reminded me that this exists:







I'm sure you've heard it by now. It's a pretty awesome song for bopping down the street in your car with the windows down and singing loud nonsense. It's also pretty fun to westie the shit out of. (That's West Coast Swing, because I love partner dancing, ok?)

But it's also (SUPRISE) awful.

I'll just cut to the chase: What is it that makes her beautiful, here, exactly? The fact that she is unaware of her own beauty.

Her boyfriend, to her, throughout the song: "You do all these amazing things and you look amazing and I'm so glad that you have concept of your own power, that's really the best thing, because if you did I know you'd leave me. In your ignorance, I get to keep you."

Barf.


Also, a more general message: "Be amazing, ladies. In all these physical ways. But never ever let the effort show. Be perfect.... effortlessly. kthx. Otherwise, you're a vain bitch."

No comments:

Post a Comment